10.26.2013

Yellowstone

 













PC: Steve and Clare Askar took some of these!

A few weekends ago, we decided to take off and go see Yellowstone. Dave had never been. We made a weekend out of it and visited Steven and Clare in Rexburg. It was such a good time. They toured us around Rexburg and BYUI (I was thoroughly impressed, I loved the campus atmosphere and the community vibe). They also came with us on our Yellowstone adventure.

We woke up early (6am) and left at 7am so we could get in the park during the morning hours. I love nature in the morning. Crisp air, animals to be seen, and just starting to feel the sun on your face. When we first drove in, we did a hike by Madison Campground. Dave had researched it earlier and had wanted to do it, it didn't disappoint! You hike about a 1/2 mile up through a narrow track with pines on either side of you. Once you get to the top of this little hill, there is a small lake covered in lillypads and surrounded by trees. It was serene and beautiful.

Then we drove the whole lower loop of the park and stopped to look at a some awesome geysers. We especially loved seeing the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. It was breathtaking - huge ravine, complete with a gorgeous waterfall. I also loved driving by the lake! I had no idea it was so expansive! Probably the prettiest lake I have ever seen. It had mountains on the far side with snow caps on top. And of course we stopped at Old Faithful.

Towards the end of our day we stopped at Madison Campground again. Clare took the boys down to the river - there was a little hot spring area that you could go in with your swimsuit. Dave said it felt like a warm bath, and it was awesome looking up and seeing mountains and trees all around him. (I stayed in the car with Sally and took an excellent nap).

It was such a fun trip. I love being able to adventure with my little family. I find so much joy in showing Sally some of my favorite things - the pines, the mountains, the animals. Where to next?

No comments: