3.12.2013

Telling Dave


So before I took a pregnancy test, I already had a feeling I was pregnant. So I stopped by Target and bought a little pair of white newborn socks and a test. I didn't tell Dave because if I was pregnant, I wanted to surprise him. That night at around 2:15 a.m. I  woke up and took the test. Lo and behold 2 little lines appeared bright and clear - I was pregnant. This just confirmed what I had been feeling the past few days. I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't. I was so excited and happy. I was going to tell Dave first thing in the morning, but then I realized he had a big OChem test he was going to study for, and I knew that if I told him, it would be nearly impossible for him to leave and go study. So I decided to wait. And wait. And wait. We had planned to spend the afternoon/evening up in Park City, so it would be perfect to tell him right before we left so we could have the drive to talk about it.

So how I told him the news:

I hid the little newborn white baby socks in Dave's sock drawer. They are the same type of socks as Dave's but a million sizes smaller. So cute. He had some clean socks hanging up to dry, so I figured I would just ask him if he could put his socks away and then he would see the little baby ones.

So, Dave gets home and I ask him if he could please put his socks away. So he takes the socks, puts them in the drawer, and didn't notice a thing! Dang! Haha. So then I say, "Check your sock drawer again, I think you missed something." He gave me a confused look, and then started rummaging around. It took a little bit, and then he pulled one little sock out. The look on his face was priceless. He looked at the little tiny socks for a moment, and then turned to me and said quietly, "Are we having a baby?" My eyes filled with little tears, and I couldn't really say anything. Then he started yelling excitedly, "Court! Are you pregnant?" All I could do was nod yes. Tears found the corners of Dave's eyes. We just hugged each other close and couldn't stop smiling. We felt so lucky.

Our whole drive up to Park City we just talked about the baby and how excited we were. There was a moment about half-way through the drive when Dave said, "I'm gonna be a dad." He said it quietly and with wonder, and once again, tears welled up in his eyes. I married such a sweet man. I am so blessed to have a husband who gets excited about having a baby and being a father. He will be a great one, I know it.


No comments: